FRESH APPLE CAKE WITH BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cup oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups sliced apples, peeled and cored
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup pecans, chopped (or walnuts if you prefer)
1 cup raisins (optional)
(1) Mix together the sugar, egg, oil, vanilla until incorporated, add cinnamon and nutmeg.
(2) Add the flour, and mix thoroughly. This batter is rather thick.
(3) Pour the batter into a greased and floured cake pan - 9×13.
(4) Bake at 340 for 45-55 minutes.
(5) Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before removing from the cake pan.
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
2/3 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
(1) Combine the sugar, syrup and butter and cook, stirring constantly over a medium heat, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has come to a full boil.
(2) Stop stirring and boil for exactly 1 minute more.
(3) Remove from the heat, without stirring!!! Let stand for 5 minutes.
(4) In a second bowl, combine the milk, baking soda and vanilla.
(5) Stir into the the slightly cooled sauce.
Serve warm over cake. Allow to cool before storing in a jar. To reheat, place the jar in a bowl of hot water until the butterscotch has warmed through. You can also use a microwave, use a low setting and heat slowly.
Recipe from http://www.thisfoodthing.wordpress.com