Sunday, April 01, 2007

Can You Believe It ??


My absolute most favorite flower in the whole wide world is the Lilac (bush). My childhood home in Maryland had a driveway lined with them ... and I used to buy a Lilac bush for my mother every year for Mother's Day. Everyone has a "comfort" smell ... a smell that calms them and mentally soothes them ... lilac is my "smell". And nothing synthetic has every come close to the real scent. And OH how I have missed lilacs in springtime since moving South 10 years ago.


Anyway, I have probably spent wayyy too much money in the last 10 years trying to grow them in the South ... I could get them to live (barely) and to leaf-out ... but I never managed to convince one to bloom. "They just do not grow in the south" is what I was told by garden shops over and over again. I had almost given up trying ... I had planned to try 1 last time this year (at the other house of course).


Well, when we moved (suddenly) to this house three weeks ago, a friend and previous resident of this house (Mrs. O from the O Tribe) gave me a tour of the grounds, pointing out plants and trees that had yet to begin their "springtime" transformations. I asked about a bush that was completely bare and nearly half covered with overgrown grass, in a place that said "nothing special" .... she said it was a lilac. I asked if she was SURE. (HA !) ... and she said it was most definately a lilac. ( I was afraid to get too excited ... could it be true ?!??!). Then I asked ... DOES IT BLOOM ?? .... and I held my breath ... and she said "of course it blooms". I was excited ... but nervous.


So for the last 3 weeks I have been walking over to and around that bush several times each day ... waiting and watching. I mowed ever so carefully around it, carefuly not to touch it with the side of the mower. Then approximately 1 week after we moved in, the first tiny green leaf buds appeared ... then the leaves came and and I thought " they ARE like lilac leaves" but was still a bit unsure .... then tiny purple buds in clusters (just like lilacs ?!?!) .... then more clusters ....


And 2 mornings ago ... the purple buds in clusters began to explode into many many beautiful lavendar blossoms ... their fragrance filling the air.


And when I saw the first few blossoms open and breathed in their sweet fragrance ... well, I cried and sobbed like a tiny babe .... what a precious gift during such a difficult time as we have had these past few weeks. I can still hardly believe it myself ... a lilac in full bloom .... right outside my back door .... a reminder of my childhood home ... the "smell" that brings peace to my heart with every breath.


God is sooooooooo good !!


Photo Above: Our lilac bush in bloom. Isn't it lovely ?!?!?

2 comments:

Priscilla said...

Beautiful post and picture!! So beautiful it gives me chills (really).

We'll have to take you up on that offer of tea and visiting!! But I'm a little more hesitant to take you up on your offer of correcting southern grammar. :) Ignorance is bliss... especially in the south (and especially when it's a yankee who's doing the correcting) :P

Love you & yours.

Pris

Barbara said...

It is lovely. I too adore lilacs.

In a previous home we had three Miss Kim lilacs. I have a vivid memory of being about six months pregnant, sitting on a overturned bucket while mulching underneath the blooming lilacs. The fragrance was so beautiful and the day so pretty that I could only think, "How could anyone doubt the presence of God?"

I'm glad to read that you are getting settled after your fire. Your family is blessed.