Our Cucumber Seeds have come up. We made the mounds, put in the seeds, and then covered the mounds with sheets of rotten hay. After that we mulched the rest of the "bed" with straw. This works great to keep the soil moist, and is also helping amend our clay soil.
To the right of the path are our tomato plants - mostly Romas, with a few BeefSteak, Early Girl, and Mr. Stripey added in. To the left of the path are our pepper plants - Sweet Bell peppers and Jalapenos. And at the opposite end of the pepper plants are 5 Black Beauty eggplant plants. We surrounded the base of each plant with rotten hay, staked every plant, and then mulched the remainder of the bed heavily with straw.
This is a photo taken after we spent all day putting down the mulches of rotten hay and straw.
Our first PEA plant.
The mounded row to the right is YELLOW CROOKNECK SQUASH,
and the mounded row to the left is ZUCCHINI.
(to the far right, mulched with straw, is Patch 2 of Blue Lake Bush GreenBeans -- the seeds in this patch have not sprouted yet.)
And on the back side of the shed is the freshly tilled and amended Strawberry Patch -- no plants yet.
The Strawberry plants look so much better -- they had been starting to wilt a bit in their pots.
We have all had a grand time working on the garden together -- everyone worked hard and worked as a team. Even DadToCherubs pitched in a bit, when it wasn't too hot or too muddy. (HA !) It seems nearly impossible to believe that we have gotten SO many BIG projects completed in so short a time (it has just been 2 weeks since Soccer ended, and we really started working on things around here). The children have been fantastic about diligently working on the gardens almsot every afternoon -- they have worked on each step of the projects / processes with great pleasure. And OH MY the Botany "lessons" have been pouring out all through every step -- Charlotte Mason would be so pleased (Narration at it's finest, for sure !).
Now -- on to the Flower Beds.