Friday, January 25, 2008

The Better To See You With My Dear ....



My eyes get tired with all of the reading and computer-use that I do on school days, so I can nearly set my watch by a "1 o'clock headache" Monday through Friday. When my eyes get tired, I can still see fairly well, however the edges of everything get "fuzzy" -- from letters in books to edges of furniture and even buildings. If I press on much past the fuzzy-edges point, my eyes just do not focus well at all and a distinctive headache begins. (and I hear rumor that I am grumpy when I have a headache, but I can neither confirm nor deny this. HA !)

Today was a school day (Friday) for us. We tried to hurry along today -- first to get to the eye doctors for Cherub 3's annual eye exam (during which I would also pick up my NEW glasses !!). After the eye doctor visit, the children and I were to run a few more in-town errands before dark. This was the plan !! So we managed to finish school by 1:00pm and then to get everyone dressed and ready to leave by 1:15p. At 1:30 everyone was in the car -- and I managed to walk out the door without the Tylenol but WITH my headache ... and I drove to the eye doctors. During nearly the entire drive I was mentally rescheduling the errands we had originally planned to do this afternoon. I thought it would be best to do them tomorrow instead (sans headache).

While driving Cherub 6 asked in his most sweet curious voice, "Mommy, am I going to get my eyes checked ?" To this I said "Yes, but not today. Your appointment is next week." He was quiet for a short while, and then piped up to ask "Why do you need glasses anyway ?" To which several children responded (while giggling) THE BETTER TO SEE YOU WITH MY DEAR. (from Little Red Riding Hood, in case someone forgot.)

Let me make a quick mention that I have worn glasses "as needed" for years (mostly for reading computer use, and maybe sewing), but have just not had the time to get them replaced after our fire last year. When I would THINK to call to make an appointment I had a headache and so did not want to call. When I felt fine, I did not think to call to make the appointment. And so I continued for nearly a year ..... until a desparate afternoon last week when I called to make an appointment, and the kind lady told me they had a cancellation for the following morning at 8am. YAHOOO !! (so of course I went to the appointment, and afterwards ordered my new glasses which would take a week to come in.)

Back to today -- I drove to the doctors with my eyes exhausted and a splitting headache (right behind my eyes, or so it felt). I picked up my glasses and tried them on - adjustments were made for the fit - I thanked the ladies and headed out of the office. I went out to the car to wait while Cherub 3 had his annual eye exam. While I was waiting, I was planning to read our Artist Study and Composer Study readings aloud to the other children. I thought "why not try it with glasses ?" After 30 minutes or so of reading my headache was GONE .... no tylenol .... I suppose the headache was resolved simply by not straining my eyes any more.

So, when this evening we have GOOD NEWS ALL AROUND. First good news --- my glasses are great, although I look a bit like a librarian (no offense intended to Librarians). Second good news --- Cherub 3 no longer needs glasses (he outgrew being far sighted). Third good news --- we even managed to get to the music store, grocery store, and Staples as we had originally planned (before dark too !).

And now I am off to read our bedtime story (with my glasses ON) ... and I think I might try to sleep in a bit tomorrow morning since my errands are finished.

No comments: