Saturday, January 19, 2008

What We Are Reading

This week Cherub 4 will finally begin to read C.S. Lewis' CHRONICLES OF NARNIA. He is very excited !! He has waited a long time to read these books, and hopes to be finished when the new Narnia movie comes out. (I think it comes out in May ?? Cherub 1 does not want the movie to "ruin the book" for him. YEAH !!) He has worked very hard this past year to be able (reading ability) to read this classic series that has many-times been "the talk of our household". He said tonight "I can hardly wait for school on Monday so I can read the first chapter." Now THAT'S a motivated child - HOORAY !!


Cherub 1 is going to begin THE SCREWTAPE LETTERS by C.S. Lewis this week. The description alone caught his interest (hooray !). Being "an ordinary young man", it is my hope that this book will make a lasting impression on him. It certainly made a lasting impression on me many (well, not TOO many - HA !) years ago.

Cherub 2 and Cherub 3 will begin reading THE SCREWTAPE LETTERS in late February - they have some other books to finish reading first.

Cherub 2 thought the excerpt sounded interesting - hopefully she will think it to be more than just "interesting" when she gets started.

Cherub 3 could have read this book some time ago, and begged to read it several times - his reading ability and comprehension would have allowed for it, but his maturity was more of a match for his age so I decided to hold off until this year. He is now very excited about this book on his reading list because he counts C.S. Lewis as one of his favorite authors.


MERE CHRISTIANITY has always been one of my favorite books. I read it again last fall and decided to add it to our schoolbook list for this year. And now it is next on our Morning Bible Time reading list. We are going to read it aloud as a family. (DadToCherubs even asked to join in when we begin this book.)


On Sunday evening I am going to begin reading TILL WE HAVE FACES. I have always loved the writings of C.S. Lewis, but somehow I missed this title through the years.

I do not believe we have ever before read so many books at the same time by the same author -- much less, such a great writer as C. S. Lewis. I hope that our dinnertable conversations will prove to be quite interesting in the coming weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would love to hear your thoughts about this book. I read it and kept looking for a deeper meaning but couldn't find any. I liked the book but was disappointed because I felt like I just wasn't "getting" it.